Did you know that BOTOX® is the most lethal neurotoxin? But it is also one of the world’s most popular beauty treatments.
When it comes to non-surgical procedures, plastic surgeons will all tell you that BOTOX® dominates the market. It’s usually applied to the forehead and around the eyes using a small hypodermic needle. BOTOX® is by far the most popular procedure among women seek a younger, fresher appearance to remove those unwanted wrinkles. In 2014 alone, BOTOX® injections accounted for about 40 percent of all procedures performed by plastic surgeons according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Its popularity continues to grow, particularly in recent markets that have increased in demand, such as men and younger people. All this adds up to a business that stretches worldwide and is worth billions of dollars. And numbers of people receiving BOTOX® are only going up.
So what is BOTOX®, exactly? And how is the world’s most toxic substance used as a safe beauty treatment every day?
Well, the short answer is: dilution. BOTOX® injections contain such a minute amount of botulinum toxin that once it is dissolved in saline, it can do no harm – except, to the wrinkles in your face! BOTOX® eliminates nerve activity in those muscles, which relaxes them and smooth’s out any age-related lines. (BOTOX® also has positive medical applications, such as treating migraine headaches and hyperhidrosis.)
BOTOX®, or botulinum toxin, is a byproduct of a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum. This bacteria was identified in the 18th century by scientists examining poorly prepared sausages. (The Latin word for sausage is used in the name “botulinum” from botulus.)
BOTOX® is deadly in larger doses – and yes, it doesn’t take a very large dose, either. Just a few hundred billionths of a gram can cause respiratory failure in any healthy individual. And it’s still used as a safe treatment for wrinkles. It is FDA-approved and certain to be safe and effective.
But you should only ever receive any kind of BOTOX® treatment by a qualified and accredited professional. This will guarantee that your treatment is injected properly into the muscles and not the bloodstream – and that you will be able to relax in the safe hands of a professional.