What causes puffiness and sagging around my eyes?
There are a variety of factors that affect how alert and attentive one’s eyes appear, including
- The natural aging process causes the area surrounding the eyes to wrinkle and sag, making some look tired or older than they actually are.
- Excess fat in the eye area can also attribute to a heavy-looking eyelid and puffiness around the eyes.
- Genetics can cause some individuals to lack an upper eyelid crease, prominently seen among those of Asian descent.
Advances in cosmetic medicine provide simple and safe solutions to counteract these problems and restore a youthful and attentive gaze.
What is eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery, also called blepharoplasty, can be performed to restore the skin around the eyes to its natural, youthful appearance and drastically reduces signs of aging. Individuals who undergo eyelid surgery can expect a reduction in wrinkles, sagging, droopiness, and excess skin, and even improved vision.
There are two kinds of eyelid surgery:
- Upper eyelid surgery, or upper blepharoplasty, is used to remove skin and fat along the top of the eye or create a crease in the eyelid.
- Lower eyelid surgery, or lower blepharoplasty, removes excess skin and puffiness that can develop below the eye and often create the illusion that one is tired.
What can I expect during eyelid surgery?
During the procedure, any incisions made are hidden in the upper eyelid crease, under the lower eyelashes, or on the inside of the lower eyelid to ensure that you achieve the most aesthetically pleasing result. Excess fat, muscle, and skin are then trimmed away from the eyelid. The procedure lasts from one to three hours and is usually performed on an outpatient basis. Following surgery, side effects such as dry eyes, swelling, bruising, and sensitivity to light may occur but will fade within 10 days. Healing occurs over one to two weeks.
Blepharoplasty can wash away years of aging, giving your eyes a smoother and more youthful appearance. If you are interested in learning more about how eyelid surgery can dramatically enhance your facial appearance, we encourage you to call one of our offices in Charlotte, NC, or our office in Fort Mill, SC, to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Marashi or Dr. Haghighi. Experts in the field of improving facial aesthetics through cosmetic treatments, our doctors will provide you with your best options for improving your facial appearance and minimizing the signs of aging.