Unfortunately, pain is a post-surgical side effect that is hard to avoid. Thanks to expanded medication options, opioid overexposure is now avoidable.
At Greater Charlotte Oral & Facial Surgery, we believe in responsible opioid use and want to turn the tide of opioid addiction and abuse. Our patients now have two options to help limit exposure:
- Exparel – Injected directly into the surgical site during surgery, this long-acting analgesia is non-addictive and provides local relief for up to 72 hours, preventing or significantly minimizing the need for prescription pain medicine.
- DisposeRx – These single-use packets provide a safe at-home disposal option. Patients simply need to add the DisposeRx packet and water to the prescription vial and then shake. The drugs will be turned into a viscous polymer gel that can then be safely disposed of.
- 1 out of 15 surgical patients go on to become long-term opioid users.
- 523,251,000 opioids were prescribed to NC patients in 2017.
- The opioid death rate is increasing faster in NC than most other states.
18- to 25-year-olds have the highest rate of nonmedical opioid abuse.