What to do if you lose or break a tooth
Losing or breaking a tooth can be frightening, especially if it’s caused by a sports injury. Fast action is needed to ensure the best results. Follow these tips to minimize discomfort and improve the chances of saving your natural tooth.
- Call your oral surgeon or dentist right away
- Gently rinse your mouth with water
- Bite on gauze or a tea bag to stop any bleeding until you can see your doctor
- Use an ice pad to minimize pain and swelling
- Take ibuprofen or Advil if needed
- Call your oral surgeon right away
- Only handle the chewing edge of the tooth. DO NOT touch the root (not even to wipe it off)
- Submerge the tooth in whole milk or saliva until you reach the oral surgeon’s office
- Bite on gauze to slow any bleeding and replace every 10 – 15 minutes until bleeding stops
Greater Charlotte Oral & Facial Surgery is here for you for all of life’s oral surgery needs – expected or unexpected. Call us at the location nearest you for direct access to board-certified oral & maxillofacial surgeons.